A perfect set of gas logs can change the overall outlook of your fireplace in no time. We know how much you miss the wood-burning vibe in your gas and other fireplaces. With increasing concern for global warming, environmental pollution, and the expense of using firewoods, users have to go for other fuel options. These alternate options are better in efficiency, heat output, and cost than woods, but the visual is still compromising.
So whatever you can’t use the real woods still, you can have the ambiance of wood-flame with the best gas logs. The gas logs are all way better than real woods. They won’t produce smoke, gas, or chars. You will get only clear and real-like visuals of glazing wood. Gas logs are way cheaper than real woods and last for a couple of years. Sounds interesting, right?
But here comes a matter to tense about. You can’t randomly pick a gas log set for your fireplace. You need to know the types and specifications. And ensure the quality from real-time users. However, this process is time-consuming, and you may not decide where to start.
That’s why we are! We’ve prepared an exclusive buyer’s guide on gas logs to know their types, installation process, safety, how to maintain them, and more. We also have hand-picked the 10 best gas logs in 2023 that general users have loved and approved. So let’s have a look to enrich your knowledge on gas logs, and maybe you find the best gas logs match for your fireplace.
A Guide on Gas Logs For The Aspiring Buyers
Choose your Fuel
Whether it’s natural gas or LPG, gas logs are going to work the same with both. So there are no rules for gas logs to compete with the fuel of your choice. But a few factors might help you choose fuel if you haven’t decided on any. Let’s get a quick overview of the advantages and drawbacks of each fuel option.
Advantage of Natural Gas
- Natural gas is the cleanest fuel on earth. It’s odorless and colorless.
- It’s lighter than air, so after burning, it entirely vanishes into the surroundings.
- The key benefit of natural gas is its economic value compared to any other gas fuel.
- Common and primary heating source for residential areas.
- Natural gas would be a convenient option if your house already has a natural gas line for appliances like heater, stove or oven, and others.
Drawbacks of Natural Gas
- Natural gas might not be available in some areas like hillsides.
- For using natural gas for appliances, you hard-pipe wiring tip to toe.
- Also, you can’t bargain for the lowest rate or compare the prices because natural gas supplies through one utility company for each area.
Advantage of Liquefied Propane
- The most important advantage of liquid propane is that you can use it anywhere, including where natural gas is unavailable.
- Liquid propane can generate more heat than natural gas, approximately three times more than natural gas.
- You can use it without any hard piping lineage or fix appliances.
Drawbacks Liquefied Propane
- Liquid propane is comparatively more expensive than natural gas.
- You will need a dedicated tank to store this fuel.
Types of Gas logs
Gas logs mainly come in two different types, vented and ventless. Vented logs are for the gas fireplace with vents, and ventless logs are for the gas fireplace with no vents or chimney. Some come in the neutral state means you can use them in both vented and vent-free conditions. And every gas log is compatible with an electric fireplace. However, it’s important to match the gas logs with your fireplace for their appropriate function and overall safety.
Which is better: vented or non vented gas logs?
It’s better to skip this conflict cause the gas log will be better for you that matches the venting condition of your fireplace. However, vented logs have prominent flames where ventless logs are heat efficient. Here is a comparative overview of them.
Advantages of Vented Gas Logs
- Give the most realistic flames.
- A great option for creating a dreamy ambiance.
- Compatible for use in an existing wood-burning fireplace.
- Best decorative centerpiece for your fireplace.
- Don’t need any safety features like an oxygen depletion sensor or others.
- Comparatively, work safely and cleanly.
Disadvantage of Vented Gas Logs
- Not efficient in heating.
- Needs your chimney or damper to be open all time.
Advantages of Vent-free Gas Log
- Vent-free logs are higher in heat efficiency.
- Need no chimney or duct to vent the exhaust. Perfect for you, ventless, electric, and gel fireplace.
- Use your fuels up to 100% efficiently.
Disadvantages of Vent-free Gas Log
- Flames are not appealing like the vented gas logs.
- Needs O.D.S. or carbon monoxide detector for safety.
- Tend to produce odor and moisture.
Size and Appearance
Though the size and look of the gas logs are a variable choice, you can select the logs with a basic wood pattern like oak, hickory, and others. You can get the closest realistic and flexible-shaped gas logs with great quality materials like ceramic fiber and refractory cement. Other than that, depending on your fireplace size, you can go for logs that are size 7 to 15-inch or more. Large logs will look more real and fuller into your fireplace.
For installing gas logs into your fireplace for the first time, we suggest you rely on a professional. Because there can be some technical issues that you can’t handle. After observing the process and having a better concept, you can install them yourself after every regular cleaning session. For that, you can follow these steps,
- Have a good read of the manuals.
- Disconnect all the lines and ignitor
- Safely remove and clean your logs
- Clean the burner and firebox properly.
- Place the log as before. Don’t block the burner holes.
- Add the remaining accessories like fire glass, embers, and rocks.
Maintenance and Safety
Gas logs are too convenient to use and maintain. They don’t need any special care. All you have to do is give a regular brush wipe once or twice a week. If you are okay, then you can do this every time after ignition.
If you use vented gas logs, ensure your fireplace burner has a sensor to detect any gas leakages like carbon monoxide or oxygen depletion. However, if you notice any abnormal soot build-up or fume, stop your fireplace immediately, check and replace the logs.
10 Best Gas Logs in 2023 (Review)
1. Natural Glo Large Gas Logs
The Natural Glo vented gas logs are large, durable, real-like, and affordable. Forgiving your vented gas fireplace a natural wood-burning vibe, this set of logs can be an ideal option. These logs are large, up to 15-inch, and have a wood bark texture. When inflamed, these logs burn exactly like real logs. A nice orange/red spot will be visible to make them look more realistic. The log burns clean and efficiently without releasing any residue or anything. However, to avoid soot build-up be watchful to avoid putting the logs too close to the burner opening.
Dimension: 10 to 15-inch (logs)
Fuel type: Dual Fuel
- Large size 10 to 15 inches.
- Made with highly heat-resistant ceramic.
- Compatible with any vented fireplace, direct vent, and electric ones.
- Free of toxic fumes, residue, and odor.
- Ten pieces of a large log set completely occupy your firebox.
- Gives a real wood-burning appearance with high flame.
- It Burns completely clean.
- Easy to maintain.
- Affordable and long-lasting.
- A non-significant number of users have faced a mild smell which is considerable anyway.
2. Amantii Designer 14 Piece Log Set For Gas Fireplace
Giving your gas fireplace a captivating eye look has not been easier before with the Amantii designer gas log set and media kit. You will get a complete package of exclusive hand-painted logs, black fire glass, rocks, pebbles, and 4 different color embers. Whatever the size of your fireplace is, the whole media kit will perfectly occupy your burning chamber. Moreover, this gas log media kit is free of soot build and odor. Also compatible with any vented, ventless, direct vent gas fireplace and electric ones.
Dimension: Not Specified
Type: Vented, Vent-Free
Fuel type: Dual Fuel
- On the package, you will get a 14-piece log set of different sizes.
- Other media kits, including the logs, are highly heat resistant.
- Effortless realistic hand-painted logs can easily replace real wood logs.
- Widely compatible with any fuel and any fireplace, especially the gas ones.
- Comes as a complete media accessories option.
- Goes perfectly with any fireplace, so you can still use them if you bring changes to the fireplace.
- Gives you great wood flame visuals with a clean environment.
- Logs tend to turn black. However, it’s normal though.
3. Utheer Fireplace Log Set
This Utheer log set is an ideal option for creating a real-like wood-burning view in any fireplace. The log set is made of durable and quality material. So you can enjoy its outstanding service for a long time. In addition, these logs will burn clean and won’t release any sort of fume, odor, or soot. You can have clean and cozy warmth with visuals of wood flame every time you ignite your fireplace. Without worrying about the cleaning as you have to do if you burned the real woods. Other than these, you can use these logs in any electric, gel, and gas fireplace and with vented options.
Dimension: 7 to 14-inch (logs)
Type: Vented, Vent-free
Fuel type: Dual Fuel
- This package of fireplace log sets concludes with 10 logs, sizes 7.7 to 14.6-inch.
- The logs are made of high-quality lightweight ceramic fibers.
- The effective porous structure of these logs helps to reflect heat.
- The logs are capable of bearing up to 1000C temperature.
- Compatible for all vented fireplaces and fuel types.
- The shapes are unique and look exactly like wood logs.
- Lightweight (6.45lbs) logs but impressively durable.
- Elevates the efficiency of fuel by emitting heat.
- Free of toxic emissions.
- Gives a glowing ember effect while inflamed.
- Users have these logs on their ventless fireplace though it’s not recommended to do so. Otherwise, it could be a comprehensive option.
4. Peterson Real Fyre Live Oak Log Set
You barely can recognize if this Peterson Real Fyre Oak gas log set is real or not! It looks so real and beautiful. These hand-painted ceramic gas logs will perfectly pair up with your vented fireplace, and that is fueled by natural gas. More than that, this log set comes with a dedicated burner that can provide you with up to 75000BTUs heat output.
Dimension: 24-inch (Burner)
Fuel type: Natural Gas
- Comes along with a 24-inch vented burner.
- Impressive hand-painted and bark textured provides an almost real Oak wood log look.
- Additionally integrated with reinforced steel inside the gas logs.
- Sturdy construction yet lightweight (1.2lbs).
- Praiseworthy design and making.
- Efficient and long-lasting.
- Greater heat output.
- All accessories, including installation kits, are included.
- Gives more than the value.
- Dual fuel not supported.
- Logs will not give off any heat.
5. Barton Petite Ceramic Gas Log Insert
You are going to enjoy the time beside your fireplace more with these artificial wood-like Barton gas logs. These logs are zero smoke, zero ash, and zero odor-producing that will give you pleasant wood-burning visuals without any discomfort. However, these log piece sizes are 10 to 15-inch. They can create astonishing high and bright flames that will stop you from missing wood flames. In addition, this gas log set is eligible for any vented fireplace, indoor, outdoor gas fireplace, direct vent, and both natural and propane gas fireplace.
Dimension: 10 to 15-inch (logs)
Fuel type: Dual Fuel
- Ten pieces and five different sizes (10 to 15-inch) logs create a balanced bonfire look into your fireplace.
- Made of durable ceramic material that withstands high temperatures up to 1832F.
- Release no residue, fume, or smell.
- Dual fuel compatible
- Natural wood birch appearance with porous texture.
- Burns clean and harmlessly.
- Lightweight around 1lbs.
- Provides perfect wood-burning fireplace vibe.
- Easy to install and clean.
- Nothing is flawless. Differences between artificial and real wood sometimes may be prominent.
6. Bluegrass Traditional Oak Gas Log Set
This traditional oak-style gas log set from Bluegrass living comes with a 30-inch burner as a complete fireplace insert option. This log set is perfect for users planning to convert their existing fireplace into a gas fireplace. All you need to have a secure and performing natural gas lineage. It’s compatible with the vent-free option, so you will not require any sort of duct or chimney. Also, the burner is secured with an oxygen depletion sensor (O.D.S.) and featured thermostat so that you can have a completely carefree experience. Moreover, the logs are neatly made with quality material and have a beautiful Red Oak log appearance.
Dimension: 30-inch (Burner)
Fuel type: Natural gas
- The 30-inch burner can deliver up to 32000BTUs heat output.
- The burner chassis is designed as a U-shape that works as dual-ported and gives a more prominent flame.
- The log set is hand-painted over quality full refractory ceramic to serve you for several years.
- For ignition, you can use the inbuilt Piezo ignitor, or for more convenience, you have the option of remote control.
- It’s a 99.9% efficient option, and ANSI certified.
- Sturdy and durable construction.
- The logs size is superior and massive.
- There is an LCD screen on the remote control that displays the real-time temperature.
- Wide coverage of area (up to 1300 sq. ft.).
- All safety features are included.
- The logs are also good at conducting heat.
- A bag of glowing embers comes free.
- Only for use with natural gas.
7. Hisencn Ceramic White Birch Gas Logs set
It’s an ideal choice to recreate the real wood fire look to your fireplace. The white birch color and pattern on this Hisecn gas logs set have been done flawlessly with high-quality ceramic and paint material. So you will not have to deal with fumes, ash, or any stubborn smell. Moreover, while inflamed and close to the fire point, these logs imitate a charred red look. This thing makes the whole outlook more real and enjoyable to watch. To avoid soot build-up or improper combustion, arrange the gas logs in a way that won’t block the gas orifices.
Dimension: 16-inch (logs)
Fuel type: Dual Fuel
- You will get a pack of 6pcs logs, which are sizes from 15 to 16-inch.
- Compatible with both natural gas and propane.
- Capable of storing heat.
- Up to 1000℃ temperature withstanding.
- Effortlessly creates a realistic wood-burning vibe.
- Tend to release heat to give you more warmth.
- Impressive heat resistance will make the logs last for long.
- Made from durable and quality ceramic materials.
- The white color will fade and will turn into a basic burning wood color.
- Mishandled logs can form soots and smoke. To avoid blocking the burner’s fire holes.
8. Grand Canyon Red Oak Gas Log Set Insert
This Grand Canyon Red Oak gas log set is a complete package of fireplace inserts that includes an efficient burner. So if you are thinking of converting your wood-burning fireplace or renovating an old vent-free gas one, then you must try out this one. The concrete gas logs are real-like, and the burner has all the latest features to make your experience smooth and interactive. With minimal set up you can have the comfort of 35000BTUs clean heat output without compromising the classic visuals of burning wood.
Dimension: 18-inch (Burner)
Fuel type: Dual Fuel
- Hard-crafted logs are formed with concrete, ceramic finish, and stainless steel fiber mesh.
- The 18-inch burner assigned with this gas log set is CSA and ANSI-certified.
- Able to deliver 35000BTUs Heat Output.
- You can opt for the variable thermostat remote control option for operation.
- An oxygen depletion sensor has been enabled.
- Compatible with dual fuel.
- It’s a great-looking gas log set with a highly specified burner.
- Have decent output efficiency.
- Adjustable option for assuring the user’s utmost comfort.
- Widely approved and safety features included.
- Comes with additional accessories like lava rocks, embers, and platinum embers.
- As this gas log set is a vent-free option, always be watchful about oxygen depletion.
9. Duluth Forge Split Red Oak Gas Log Set
This one is another gas log set plus fireplace insert option presented by Duluth Forge. It’s a vent-free option, and its burner has 99.9%efficiency. Besides creating a natural wood-like flame, this log set insert can deliver warmth up to 33000BTUs. This one comes in propane compatibility; however, another option of natural gas is also available. For bringing a wood-burning vibe inside your home with 100% clean air free of smoke and flying ash, pick these gas logs set up confidently.
Dimension: 24-inch (Burner)
Fuel type: Liquid Propane
- You will get six logs with a 24-inch burner as a whole set.
- The logs are made of refractory ceramic and outstandingly hand-painted.
- The logs are perfect for vent free fireplace, and different options are available for natural gas and liquid propane. This one is specified for liquid propane.
- Piezo ignitor (Battery assisted) and oxygen depletion sensors are included with burners for a safe experience.
- ANSI-certified system assured.
- Realistic hand-painted logs imitate exact wood log flame.
- Durable and quality full construction.
- Manual on/off control is convenient for any user.
- Safety features enabled.
- Installation kit, glowing embers, and other accessories included.
- An attached thermostat would be more desirable.
10. 3GPlus Large Fireplace Logs Set Insert
With this 3GPlus fireplace log set, you can drastically change your gas or other non-wood-burning fireplace’s appearance. You will have 10 different-sized logs on this package. The logs are large, well-made, and durable. They burn the same way real woods burn. You will notice a charred look when the logs are inflamed. All will happen without producing any smoke, smell, and ash.
Dimension: 10 to 15-inch (Logs)
Fuel type: Dual Fuel
- This 10 piece log set includes individual large-sized logs from 15 to 10-inch.
- Made with high-quality ceramic fiber that is capable of enduring high temperatures.
- Compatible with any fuel option.
- The logs cool down easily and don’t retain heat for long. So perfect for use in a ventless fireplace.
- Beautifully hand-painted.
- Give glowing ember effect when inflamed to bring real wood-burning looks.
- Free of toxicity and extreme soot build-up.
- Non-significant number of users have a slight smell during the first few burns.
- It will turn black over time.
Frequently Asked Question
What are the best gas logs made of?
The best gas logs are made from ceramic and refractory cement compounds. And these are the perfect material to make a high heat withstanding burning accessory for gas, electric, and other non-wood-burning fireplaces. These materials are easy to mold into desired shapes and give a realistic look with paints. Moreover, they are also long-lasting.
Do gas logs have to be vented?
Not every gas log has to be vented, only except the vented ones. Vented logs need to be vented through an outside duct or chimney for proper functioning and utmost output. Among the other log options, vented logs provide the most eminent and realistic flame. But they lose a significant amount of heat off to the chimney.
Do gas logs heat a room?
Not really, because gas logs are meant to add up aesthetics and real wood appearance into your fireplace. Ventless gas logs may give off more heat than vented ones. Though vented gas logs also produce some heat that escapes into chimneys.
How long do ceramic gas logs last?
If handled and maintained properly, ceramic logs can last for pretty long, up to 10years or even more. Well, it can differ for the quality of your logs and upon your use-span. On extreme heavy use, the longevity can degrade. However, place them in the right manner and do regular cleaning for years of service.
Is it normal for gas logs to blacken?
Well, on vented gas logs, soot build is a normal thing. All you have to do is clean your logs with a bristle brush regularly, better after every ignition. However, if your logs are placed blocking the gas burner’s orifices, it also leads to soot build-up. So be careful with that.
Gas logs are the best accessories for a fireplace and must for the users who love the wood-flame. These artificial logs are environment-friendly yet charming, efficient, easy to maintain, and most importantly, best for value. We hope you find the best gas logs for you from these 10 best gas logs options. You can also pick more than one for versatility and enrich your accessory collection. Correctly install them and keep them under regular maintenance to long-lasting service. Wish you all the best with your purchase!